This traditional Middle Eastern favorite utilizes some of summer’s greatest bounty and makes great additions to picnics, school lunches or filling for a pita pocket. The flavor is even better the next day. Vary the flavor by using different herb blends.
Wash the herbs, place on a towel and allow them to air dry very well before mincing to avoid black discoloration of the leaves.
- 1 cup bulgur wheat
- 2 cups boiling water
Combine in a bowl and allow to stand for thirty minutes. Fluff soaked bulgur with a fork, then strain or squeeze out excess water.
Combine in a non reactive bowl:
- 2 cups diced tomatoes or halved cherry tomatoes
- 2 cucumbers, diced (peeled, if peel is waxed or bitter)
- ? cup finely diced sweet onion or 3 sliced green onions
- 2 cloves minced fresh garlic (optional)
- 1 cup finely minced parsley or basil or cilantro
- ? cup finely minced spearmint
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ? cup lemon juice (about 3 lemons)
- ? cup extra virgin olive oil
Mix with the soaked bulgur and refrigerate for at least one hour before serving.
Makes about 8 servings.
Article Type: Tip