Fennel Bulb Cooking Ideas
- Slice bulbs in half, leaving some of the root so that they remain intact. Remove the core carefully and brush with olive oil. Grill lightly on both sides.
- Quarter the bulbs and toss with olive oil. Roast with carrots, parsnips, onions and potatoes.
- Add chopped fennel bulb and some of the greenery to marinara sauce at the end of cooking time. It will only require a few minutes to get tender.
- Bake fish in parchment paper pockets with thinly sliced fennel bulb and carrots. Mahi mahi and cod work well with this recipe. Drizzle vegetables with olive oil and place the fish on top. Add sliced lemons on the fish and close the packet. Bake at 400 degrees until fish is done.
- Bake salmon and sliced fennel in orange juice.
- Mix thinly sliced fennel bulb and bok choy in salads.
- Add fennel to stir fry vegetables or to soups.
- Baked fennel and cheese: Cut in quarters and remove cores. Place in well oiled baking dish. Add a small amount of water. Cover and bake for 25-30 minutes until tender. Remove the cover and top with a mixture of bread crumbs and parmesan cheese. Bake until nicely browned.