CTG Article Resources
by John Dromgoole
Traditionally, a dead tree (usually a spruce or fir which is highly flammable when dry) not properly prepared, is set in homes and wrapped with electric wires. That is an invitation for a fire! Follow the directions below carefully to make your Christmas tree fire resistant.
The Karo Syrup, Borax and Chlorine Bleach may be purchased from the supermarket. The Epson Salt may be purchased from the drug store and the Chelated Iron (pronounced Key-Lated) may be purchased from a garden shop or plant store.
1. With a saw, make a fresh cut at the base on the tree trunk. Cut off
at least an inch and try to make a flat or level cut.
2. Immediately after cutting the base off the tree, mix the fireproofing ingredients listed above. Fill a 2-gallon bucket with hot water to within 1 inch of the top and add the ingredients. Stir thoroughly.
3. Stand the trunk of the tree in this solution and leave for 24 hours.
4. Keep the remaining solution and place the tree in a tree-stand that contains a well for making liquids available to the tree base.
5. After the tree is in position for decorating, fill the tree-stand well with the solution.
6. Every day, without exception, fill up the well of the tree-stand with the fireproofing solution.
How this procedure works:
The Karo Syrup provides the sugar necessary to allow the base of the
tree to take up water. The tree may take up to 1/5 gallons of water over
a two-week period. Boron in the Borax allows the tree to move the water
and sugar out to every branch and needle in the tree. Magnesium compounds
in the Epson Salt and Iron from the Chelated Iron provide essential components
for the production of chlorophyll that will keep the tree green. The bleach
keeps mold from forming in your solution. This procedure will also help
prevent the needles from dropping and will increase the natural fragrance
of the tree.
Article Type: How To