Good Taste And Health With Herbs
Meet Homegrown publisher and author Judy Barrett for the inside scoop on herbs, heirlooms, and why she went organic. Get her book list here. On tour, Earth Camp fifth-graders at the Becker Elementary Green Classroom teach wise lessons on watershed protection. Daphne shows how to collect shower water to return to the garden. Spice up the warm weather beds with her pick of the week, Black Pearl pepper. Get Trisha Shirey's tips for cleaning and pruning gardening tools to make spring clean-up a breeze.
Originally aired February 16th, 2013 (Rebroadcast March 9th, 2013)
Tips of the Week
- Keep an eye on those weeds! Pluck now or be sorry!
- Plant, prune and fertilize roses.
- Prune everything except evergreen shrubs (other than Salvias).
- Plant trees, shrubs, and perennials.
- Prep vegetable beds for summer crops soon to come.
- Spray spinosad to control flea beetles and other pest beetles in the vegetable garden.
- Spray Bt (Bacillus thuringiensis) to control caterpillars on vegetables.
- Clean up diseased leaves and put them in the trash.
- Remember to deeply water trees and shrubs in this extended drought.
More tips by month
Question of the Week
Can I use soapy shower or kitchen water in the garden?
Becker Elementary Green Classroom