Funky Chicken Coop Tour 2012
Get egg-citing tips to raise chickens of your own with Michelle Hernandez and Carla Jean Oldenkamp from the Austin Funky Chicken Coop tour. Take a tour of Carla's Zen Hen House and organic vegetable garden. Daphne Richards notes when to fertilize plants and lawn. Her pick of the week: Texas maroon bluebonnet. Trisha Shirey transitions winter crops to summer's harvests.
Originally aired February 25th, 2012 (Rebroadcast March 31st, 2012)
Tips of the Week
- Plant shade and ornamental trees, shrubs, grapes, fruit trees, nut trees, perennials.
- Plant oregano, chives, thyme, cat mint.
- Prune and fertilize roses.
- Prune and fertilize trees.
- Prune woody perennials.
- Dig weeds!
- Divide fall-blooming perennials.
- Top existing beds with compost.
- Start prepping summer vegetable beds with new compost.
- Plant beets, collards, kohlrabi, radish, and turnips.
More tips by month
Question of the Week
How and when should I fertilize my shrubs, trees, and perennials?
Oldenkamp Zen House and Organic Garden Design