Augie doggie doo in compost? Dillo Dirt? This week CTG, really.

Well, golly. Did I ever mess up. I guess that’s appropriate, considering this super question!

For real, this week on CTG, Daphne answers Jean Wucher’s question about using doggie doo in the compost pile. I got ahead of myself and posted Joan’s rose question instead. Actually, it’s  good timing, since I know you’re thinking about your roses. But that one airs February 12!

Jean’s question is perfect timing too, especially if you have a pet!  And thank heavens, Chester the cocker spaniel just went out to potty; this dog hates cold and the slightest moisture on the grass. But I’ll nab his “good outside potty” into a bag for the trash.

So: why can we use cow & chicken manure in the compost pile, but not what we scoop up off the yard?

Well, our pets are carnivores and bacteria will not break down in our home compost piles.  Get Daphne’s complete answer and her response to using Dillo Dirt regarding heavy metal concerns.

I can confirm that my vet also discourages using cat and dog waste in the compost pile for a long list of reasons. I can use what bunnies Harvey & Gaby “produce”,  very prolifically, I might say. (By the way, these house bunnies are litter box trained.)  I can dump their deposits directly onto my plants for a subtle nitrogen boost.  That’s how rabbits in the wild quickly nourish the plants they’re chomping, in order to get more.

Chicken, horse, and cow manure should be composted, since they’re so “hot.”

Thanks, Jean, for setting us straight, even though I was on the fast track.

Linda

9 Responses to “Augie doggie doo in compost? Dillo Dirt? This week CTG, really.”

1. JoanieC says:

Carnivore doo contains stubborn pathogens, but people compost, bury, vermiculture, use DIY septic systems and flush dog and cat doo all the time. Just wash your hands and don’t use any residuals from carnivore waste on edible gardens. The only reason not to use it in that instance is a) to make sure you don’t drop the fruits and veggies on the ground and not wash them thoroughly and b) tubers like potatoes and carrots are difficult to scrub clean. It is unconscionable leave doo on the ground. It is also unconscionable to trash doo in plastic (even biodegradable and compostable) bags. By doing so you stream both materials into airless, dry landfills where both the doo and the plastic stay virtually intact until the landfill safeguards fail – which is inevitable given time.

2. Jessica says:

What about dog poo from a vegetarian dog? I have a vegan dog, and I’ve been composting her poo in a separate pile, just for using on the bushes/oak trees, etc. So why not use it in the garden? Are there any studies on this that you have ever heard of? Thanks!

• Linda says:

Hi, Jessica! Many apologies: I missed your note by mistake. I would say that it is a question for your vet about using it in your vegetable garden. I don’t know what goes on inside dogs! But if you’re composting it for the bushes and oak trees, go for it. Hey, my dog does that anyway, when I miss a scoop!

And Trisha will be here for CTG on Thursday. I’ll ask her & get back with you.

3. Great post. I’ve wondered about that. My compost thing is more of a rot pile than a hot pile. Eventually it decomposes into good stuff but takes a lot longer–and I have to water it or it just desiccates.

• Linda says:

Yes, my compost pile is a rot pile too. It all breaks down eventually but I know it’s not hot enough to destroy weed seeds or bacteria. And I’m patient. I can’t get the hose back there so it does take longer when we don’t have rain. It does help if I remember to turn it, but you know how that goes. . .

4. Newbie says:

Can guinea pig doo be used in compost? Will any herbivore do?

• Linda says:

I bet you can use guinea pig poo. I don’t know how “hot” it is so you want to research it before you put it directly on plants, like you can with bunny poo. For sure, you can compost it.

5. testerz says:

Dillo Dirt is nasty, toxic, pathogen bearing sludge. More info: http://austincut.com/feature/2011-7/austins-dirty-secret-dillo-dirt