Building a foundation for school success starts with the earliest days of life. Early childhood education is a major focus of PBS so we have lots of resources to share. KLRU also has deep connections with the Central Texas early childhood educational community.
If you are looking for quality early childhood programs for your child, or to help you raise your child or someone else’s, we suggest you call United Way’s 211 telephone number. They receive current information on open slots in high-quality child care programs, home visiting programs, and parent/family workshops. They can also provide information on how to get support for more basic life needs, such as:
This tool provides ideas for building children’s readiness for Kindergarten:
Are you a parent, teacher, or educator looking for fun, safe, high-quality educational media for kids? KLRU Kids has games, videos and much, much more.
For more fun and learning with young children, we suggest the following free/low-cost options:
- The Thinkery Children’s Museum – Wednesday nights are pay-what-you-wish
- Austin Parks and Recreation
- freefuninaustin a website that provides current information for families on free events
- Austin Public Libraries
- Austin Museum Day one day each year, all the museums are free!
- Capital Metro take the bus or train and learn about our city
Watch videos about work being done locally in early childhood education.